For many smartphone users, Google Maps is the go-to navigation app. Google Maps, on the other hand, maybe used on smartwatches, including the Apple Watch. On Apple Watch, you can also browse to existing shortcuts, obtain step-by-step directions, and see your commute’s current ETA. You won’t need to look at your phone because the directions are displayed on your wrist.
What you should know before using Google Maps on your Apple Watch
- You should be aware that you cannot immediately enter a new location on the Apple Watch. This will require you to utilize your iPhone. After that, you can use the Apple Watch to follow the instructions. On the Apple Watch screen, you won’t find a map; instead, you’ll find distances, turn-by-turn instructions, drive time, and a turn-direction arrow. All of this is accomplished through haptic feedback.
You can get directions to saved destinations using the Google Maps app for the Watch. If you don’t want to use your iPhone to look up directions to stored locations, you can build these shortcuts. This is especially useful if you are walking rather than driving.
Google Maps on an Apple Watch Requirements:
If you want to use Google Maps on your Apple Watch, make sure your devices have the following features:
- WatchOS 5 or higher is required.
- iOS 10 or higher is required.
- Bluetooth connectivity
To utilize Google Maps on your Apple Watch, you must first enable location services, which must be enabled at all times.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services>Google Maps on your iPhone. Then choose whether to allow it only when using the app.
If you want to get directions for a ‘saved’ destination, follow these steps:
1. Open the Google Maps app on your Apple Watch.
2. Select a shortcut (Home or Work)
3. Your watch will provide you with step-by-step instructions.
If you want to get directions to a new destination, follow these steps:
1. Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
2. Start your navigation
3. Then open the Google Maps app on your Apple Watch.
4. Under “Current trip” tap the ETA